A city of 20 million people which comprises of many districts and within lies distinct neighborhoods.
CONSTANTLY REINVENTING. NEW GLOBAL FRONTIER. FAST ECONOMY & NEW OPPORTUNITIES.
Entry: Passport and visa: www.fmprc.gov.cn/eng
Airports: Hongqiao and Pudong International Airports
Hotel transportation: Taxis, airport buses, hotel shuttles, subway.
Pearl Tower in Pudong District is the center of the city.
If you are looking for fun, excitement, shopping, amazing eats and drinks, you'll need to across to the west side of the river to Bund Promenade in Puxi and head towards the downtown (Huanghi District). Before the communist uprise in the 1940's, Bund was the main financial district where foreign financial institutions from England, France, USA, Netherlands, Russia, and others also had powerful presence and influence. Today's architectural landscape very much tells the story of this colonial past.
* Ferry services offered from Pudong to Bund Promenade. Great scenic view.
Lodging in Puxi:
1. GreenTree Inn: On a quiet street. $45
2. Asset Hotel: In the heart of Xuhui District. Starts at $48
3. New Asia Hotel Shanghai: Your basic accommodation but located in downtown, the Huangpu Distict. Starts at $50
4. Shanghai Ling Long Hotel: 1 of the few remaining old Shanghai homes. Starts at $64 (includes breakfast).
5. Bailemen: Next to a buddhist temple. In the main shopping district on Nanjing St. $70
6. Jing An Hotel: Located in Jing'An Distict. Starts $85
7. New-Westlake Boutique Hotel - French Colonial building. Near Shaanxi Road (S) subway station. $87.
8. Astor House - Grand old hotel that's been around for decades. Einstein stayed here during his stay. Located in Hongkou (Northeast), just North of Bund Promenade. $100.00.
9. Donghu Hotel: Starts at $100. Great location near great restaurants
10. Ruijin Hotel: In the heart of the French Concession neighborhood in Lu Wan District. Starts at $125.
11. Quintet-Shanghai French concession. Starting at 800RMB ($122).
12. Mason Hotel: Great rooftop restaurant. Starts at $128.
13. Yantze Hotel: Conviently located in downtown the Huangpu District.
14. Mansion Hotel: Starts at $150
15. Lapis Casa Boutique Hotel: Starts at $168
16. @ Gallery Suites
17. Taiyuan Villa: In Xuhui District(Southeast). Starts at $200.
18. Jia Hotel : Boutique hotel. On West Nanjing Xi Lu(Road) in Jing An District
19. URBN Boutique Hotel
20. Water House Boutique Hotel: At South of Bund
21. Modena: Lofts. Long term stay available.
22. The PuLi: In Luwan District. 2320 RBM
23. Fairmont Peace Hotel: Located in the Bund. http://www.fairmont.com/peacehotel
Bars ($, $$, $$$)
1. Enoteca Wine Bar $. Two locations: French Concession and Xintiandi
2. C's Bar $: Divey yet laid back and cheap drinks
3. Harley's Bar $: Divey Bar with eclectic clientel and cheap drinks
4. The Beaver $: Dive bar with a large collection of bottled beers. Attracts young crowd.
* French Concession near Metro Line 1 Hengshan Lu Station
5. Barbaroosa $$: Great view and drinks. Located at People's Park - in the middle of a lake.
6. People's 7 Bar and Restaurant. : Minimal interior. Ask for the code word at the entrance. Food is a bit overpriced.
7. Muse2 Night Club
8. Rouge Bar/Night Club
9. Shelter: Underground night club
10. Belvedere By Exit: Mediterranean inspired restaurant/bar(on the rooftop)
11. The Roof: Japanese inspired rooftop bar
12. The Roof at Watehouse: On the Bund. Great night view of Pudong shore in the summer.
13. The Velvet Lounge: Map & Info
14. JZ Club : Ultimate Jazz bar. Get there early!
15. Mint: Cocktail lounge with a spectacular view
16. DR Bar: Quiet and Quaint lounge bar
17. Zapata's Night Club: hosts theme nights like salsa dancing, etc.
18. Brownstone Bar: http://www.smartshanghai.com/venue/5884/Brownstone
1. Jade on 36: Modern French affair
2. Nan xiang Mantou Dian: Best dumplings. Expect a long wait.
* Phone: 021-6355-4206
* Near Yu Yuan in the old Chinese City. Yuyuan Lu 85 on 2nd floor. Huangpu District
3. Xiao Yang Sheng Jian aka Yang's Fry Dumplings: Quyang Road, Hongku.
* 2nd location: on the corner of Wuding Lu and Shaanxi Lu
4. Crystal Jade: Dumplings with broath, hand pulled noodles, and Dim sum.
* 2 locations: 1 in Jing An District and 2nd in Lu Wan district near Changshu Lu Metro
* Reservation recommended. 021/ 5228 1133 (Jing An), 021/6473-6380(Lu Wan District)
5. Lai Fu Lou: Hot Pot/ Yuwan(fish balls)/ Danjiao (egg wrapped dumplings)
6. Lynn: Shanghainese Cuisine.
* 20 Minute walk from Jing An Temple Metro Station
7. Sichuan Citizen: Recommend pork and potato stew
8. Guyi: Hunan Cuisine , BBQ
* 2 locations: Inside of Jing An Shopping Mall and on Fumin Lu about 12 min walk from Changshu Lu Metro Station.
9. Zao Zi Shu " Jejube Tree": Chinese style vegetarian.
* Inside of Shanghai Huanggong Complex on the 1st floor near Huangpi Nan Lu Metro Station in Lu Wan District.
10. Ninsei: Japanese http://www.ninsei.jp/
11. Zha Pu Lu: known as "food street" where locals go to get good Chinese food
12. Great way to sample a variety of food is to head to the basement of major department stores' food courts.
13. Shu Tian Ge - Great Sichuan
14. Mao Long: Shanghainese
15. Dong Bei Ren: Northern food
16. Hatsuhana: All you can eat sushi for 168RMB (including beer and saki)
17. Bellagio: Great Taiwanese desserts
18. Ji Shi (Old Jesse): Authentic Shanghainese food.
19. Stiller's: A modern European fine-dining by Michelin-starred Stefan Stiller.
20. Cafe Dan: A small cozy cafe in Tianzifang, serves luxurious coffee, desserts, and down-to-earth Japanese comfort foods
21. M1NT Restaurant & Grill: Western food, 318 Fuzhou lu by Shandong lu, 24th floor
22. Table No. 1: Upscale European affair. Inside of Waterhouse Boutique Hotel at South Bund.
23. Goga for Gaga : Upscale but not pretentious Cali-Asian and Hawaiian-inspired dishes
24. Annion Kitchen: Korean food and BBQ in a modern hip intimate setting. Photo
25. Din Tai Fung: Great Taiwanese dumplings and noodle dishes
26. Lao Beijing: Beijing style Peking Duck
27. Fu 1039
28. Mr & Mrs Bund: Modern French eatery. Tues-Sat: 6:30pm - 4am; Sun&Mon: 6:30-10:30
Tea and Desserts: Guide
1.Old China Hand Reading Room: Eclectic. Popular with artsy crowds. Metro: Shanxi Nan Lu
* Brunch: Guide
* Chinese cooking class: Taught in English
Dumplings from Crystal Jade Restaurant
Shanghai Glass Museum: http://en.shmog.org/index.php