Former Central Train Station
An abandoned Packard Motors Factory
In the debris of despair, deterioration and poverty emerges a renewal of hope, resilience, and revitalization.
HOME OF MOTOWN & THE AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY. ABANDONED. REINVENTING.
1. Detroit Wayne County International Airport
2. Coleman Young City Airport
3. Greyhound Bus: www.greyhound.com
4. Train: www.amtrack.com
1. Rent a vehicle
2. Taxis: Not readily available. Need to contact the taxi company for their service.
3. City Bus: A limited routes
Attractions & Places to visit:
The Heidelberg Project
Location: 3600 Heidelberg St. Detroit, MI 48207
Tim Burke's Detroit Industrial Gallery
Detroit Electronic Music Festival (DEMF) aka Movement
Location: The Hart Plaza; next to the river and tunnel crossing into Canada.
When: The Memorial Weekend; The last weekend of May for 3 days.
Further info: www.paxahau.com
* Detroit is the home of "Techno" music.
* The festivities during the days are jammed pack with great music, but the best music can be heard at the "after-hours" parties held at various venues/sites throughout the downtown area like at The Works Bar, St. Andrews Concert Hall, Oslo's basement bar, abandoned warehouses, party cruise boat on the river, etc. For after-hours' info: www.detroitluv.com , www.detroittechnomilitia.com
Eastern Market (farmers market)
Restaurants & Shops:
1. Russell Street Deli: Best breakfast grubs in town!! www.russellstreetdeli.com
2. Butcher's Inn Restaurant
3. Milano Bakery: www.milanobakery.com
4. Detroit Cheese Co & Randy's Sausage Shop: www.randys-sausage.com/Detroit_Cheese_Co.html
5. Joe's Wine & Liquor Shop
6. Cost Plus Wine
7. Roma Café: Oldest Italian eatery in town. 3401 Riopelle St., Detroit.
Urban Farming: Vacant empty spaces utilized as urban farming land.
Emerging artists and their communities
1. The Powerhouse Project: Future community gathering place
2. Soup: A monthly community dinner for artists to gather and share ideas. $5.00 charge. 4-5 pitches for grassroots creative projects are discussed and then voted on to determine the winner for the prize money to be used towards his or her idea.
3. Hocking: Detroit native artist who builds installations with whatever leftovers he finds. In Fisher Building, he built a pyramid ragged tires bathed in an spectral green glow of the sun strained through its windows; in his most recent work, Garden of the Gods, Hocking placed shattered TV sets atop the still-standing concrete columns of the Packard Plant's top level.
4. Cope and Reichert’s neighborhood: Salvaging abandoned homes as public art projects.
They will be conducting tours of their neighbourhood the first Saturday of every month beginning Feb. 5 at 11 am, starting at 12644 Moran Street.
A video made by Vice Magazine about Detroit's scene hosted by Johnny Knoxville:
Belle Isle: The largest urban park in the United States which sits on Detroit River.
Detroit Institute of Arts Museum (DIA)
* Detroit Film Theatre: Shows art and independent films.
* Hosts "Music Friday" - Showcases independent artists, world music, classical, etc.
1. Slow's Barbecue Restaurant: http://slowsbarbq.com
2. Detroit Seafood Market Restaurant: www.thedetroitseafoodmarket.com
3. Avalon Breads: Bakery at 422 W. Willis
4. La Dolce Vita: A gay friendly Italian Restaurant. Great outdoor patio. www.ldvrestaurant.net
5. The Blue Nile: Ethiopian Cuisine. Located just outside of Detroit in Ferndale. www.bluenilemi.com
6. Oslo: Sushi & Thai food and Bar. In downtown. Great sweatbox basement bar known for throwing electronic music events lasting til dawn. Electronic music legends such as Richie Hawtin, Ellen Alien, Matthew Dear, Carl Craig have played here. www.oslodetroit.com
7. Cadieux Cafe: Belgium food & beer. Bucket full of mussels and Belgium feather bowling are their specialties. www.cadieuxcafe.com
8. Polonia Polish Restaurant: 2934 Yemans St., Hamtramck, MI 48212. Hamtramck is in the city of Detroit.
9. Los Altos: Authentic Mexican in Mexican town. www.yelp.com/biz/los-altos-restaurant-detroit. 7056 W Vernor Hwy, Detroit, MI 48209
10. The Fly Trap Diner: 22950 Woodward Ave., Ferndale;
11.Mexicantown Bakery: 4300 W. Vernor Hwy., Detroit;
12. 24 Grill: Upscale. www.spa1924grille.com/24grille/index.html
13. Mudgies Deli: www.mudgiesdeli.com
14. Señor López Taqueria:
Authentic Mexican & breakfast served all day. 7146 Michigan Ave., Detroit;
15. Vicente's Cuban Cuisine: 1250 Library St., Detroit;
16. Detroit 1 Coney Island Inc: http://www.yelp.com/biz/detroit-1-coney-island-inc-detroit#query:Atlas%20Global%20Bistro
17. El Comal: Guatemalan. 3456 W. Vernor Hwy., Detroit; 313-841-7753. Fried plantains & Empanadas.
18. El Barzón: Best moles. 3710 Junction St., Detroit;
19. Atlas Global Bistro: 3111 Woodward Ave., Detroit;
20. Detroit Breakfast House & Grill: 1241 Woodward Ave., Detroit;
21. Maria's Front Room: Wine Bar & Restaurant. 215 W. Nine Mile Rd., Ferndale;
22 Colors: www.colors-detroit.com
23 Neighborhood Noodle: A pop up restaurant. http://neighborhoodnoodle.com
24 Le Petit Zinc Cafe: http://lepetitzincdetroit.com
25. Buddy's Pizza: It's been around the last 50 years. Numerous locations throughout metro detroit area. http://www.buddyspizza.com/
1. Bi Bim Bop in Novi: some of the best Korean and Japanese food you'll find in the midwest.
Rowland Cafe: Simply breathtaking. www.therowlandcafe.com
Astro Coffee: in Cork Town: www.astrodetroit.com
1. Baker's Keyboard Lounge: Jazz Bar. 20510 Livernois Ave., Detroit;
2. Buddha Lounge Bar: 21633 W. Eight Mile Rd., Detroit;
3. Attic Bar: Authentic Detroit blues live music.11667 Joseph Campau St., Hamtramck;
4. Ghost Bar: www.whitneyghostbar.com/venue.php
5. Cafe D'Mongo's Speak Easy: Only open on Friday nights from 6:00 pm - 2:00 am.
6. PV Lounge: Professional clientel. www.thedetroitseafoodmarket.com/pvlounge.php
7 The Sugar House: a lounge cocktail bar www.sugarhousedetroit.com
8 Clff Bells: Blues Jazz bar and restaurant: www.cliffbells.com
9 The Park Bar:https://www.facebook.com/parkbardetroit
10. Seven Brothers Bar: lay back eclectic dive bar in Hamtramck
La Dolce Vita Restaurant
1. Made In Detroit: Hoodies, T-shirts, Bags, etc with "Made In Detroit" logo. http://www.madeindetroit.com/