Feb 5, 2011
Quiet town on a slender finger of land where Pacific Ocean and Golfo Dolce converge.
SLOW PACE OF LIFE. UNTOUCHED BY COMMERCIALISM. DESERTED BLACK SANDY BEACH. UNPAVED ROADS.
Location: Zancudo, 15 km South of Golfito
1. San Jose International Airport
* Inquire about the bus station location and schedule to Golfito with the travel agency/info desk at the airport if needed.
* Exchange cash at the airport. No banks at Zancudo.
2. Overnight stay at a hotel near the bus station or one hour direct flight to Golfito with local charter flight, Sansa Airline. www.natureair.com .
* Bus: early rise the next morning. 8 hour trip. Bring water. No AC and gets hot from the intense noon heat.
3. At Golfito, hire a driver or from Samoa Del Sur Hotel at 12pm: 45 minute boat taxi ride. The road trip can be a bit rough for more than an hour. I recommend the boat taxi ride. OR
Arrange to be picked up by your lodging host at Golfito.
1. Macondo Hotel & Restaurant
* Operated by Italians. Amazing authentic Italian home cooked meals offered at their restaurant.
2. Lili's Beach House
3. Oceano & Restaurant
* Offers the service of packed lunches for your day excursions.
* Internet service
4. Cabinas Los Cocos
* Offers private boat taxi service
Eats and attractions:
- La Puerta Negra Restaurant: Seafood and pasta. Culinary * ambiance delight. Make reservation for 6-9pm Tues-Sunday.
- Cabinas Sol y Mar: BBQ specialties.
- Soda Katharine: Fresh fruit juices "Gallo Pinto" and popular with the locals.
- Cabinas y Restaurant Tranquilo: Delicious home cooked meals on a terrace.
- Bar/Cabinas Sussy: Late night hangout bar with pool tables.
- Cabinas Tio Froylan: Dancing at the disco and pool tables. Inquire about busier nights. The owner, Carlos, is very charismatic and fun to hang out with. Also a cheap lodging and restaurant. Phone: 776 0128.
- Annual Fishing & Blues Festival in early February.
Tours and activities. Ask your hotel host about the following:
- Horse back riding
- Surfing: Inquire about a day trip to Bahia de Pavon (Pavones)-15km away. Legendary among surfers. Best from April - October.
* Sea Kings
* Venus Surf Adventures
- Jungle tours
- Sports fishing: Dec-May for sailfish and May-Sept for snook.
* Arena Alta Sportsfishing
* Golfito Sportsfishing
* Roy's Zancudo Lodge
* Banana Bay Marina in Golfito
- Zip lining
- Snorkeling and scuba diving
- Boat cruising
- Animal sanctuaries
- Tiskita Jungle Lodge & Activities: On the hillside between Pavones&Punta Banco. 100 hectares of virgin forest and huge orchard.
**Getting there from Golfito or Zancudo:
By bus to nearby Pavones, or a taxi can be employed. It is best to call the office (506-2296-8125) to find out the most current and accurate bus schedule and information. Also inquire about boat taxi ride.